LGBT History Month: Bake Your Own Rainbow Cookies
Updated: Feb 24
Baking bread was the in-thing during the first lockdown but we thought it would be fun to share a recipe to bake rainbow cookies as part of our LGBT History Month celebrations!
Want to give it a try? In terms of utensils and other kitchen items, you will need; a non-stick baking tray or two and/or baking paper, a wire rack or alternative for cooling, a mixing bowl (or any old bowl to mix in), a sieve, a whisk, a table spoon and a tea spoon.
In terms of ingredients, here's what you'll need for 15-20 cookies:
150 grams of butter
250 grams of self-raising flour
250 grams of caster sugar
2 table spoons (the big one) of golden syrup
2 tea spoons (the small one) of bicarbonate of soda
5 tubes of Smarties (the 38g ones)
1. Your first step is an easy one, you'll need to preheat your oven to 180 degrees.
2. Next, prepare your baking tray or paper with a little bit of room temperature butter.
3. Then, mix your butter and caster sugar together in a bowl until the mixture is light and fluffy.
4. Now it's time to add the golden syrup. It's best to warm it up so it's runny, then add it into the butter and caster sugar mixture.
5. Next, chuck all your Smarties into the mix and give 'em a stir!
6. Then you'll need your sieve to sift your self-raising flour and bicarbonate of soda into the mixture until everything is combined.
7. Now it's ready to go onto the tray, so take a generous blob (or a heaped teaspoon) and put this into your baking tray. Your mixture should make around 15-20 cookies, so do this until you run out.
8. Next they can be popped into the preheated oven. You want to bake them until their golden brown, which should take around 10 minutes.
9. Then it's time too cool them. Once they're cool enough that you can touch them, transfer them onto your wire rack or whatever you're cooling them on and leave for a little while.
10. Now it's time to eat! The waiting game is over and you can finally taste your colourful creations - enjoy!
Share your LGBT History Month cookies with us on socials (tag PCA SU in them) for the chance to win a £15 gift card!
Best, Harriet Moore
Student Union President